Living Life In A Wheelchair

Beginning To Tension Guy Wires
[ Saturday October 5th 2019 at 3:15 pm ]

I've spent some time this afternoon continuing the installation progress of my weather station. The next step in this is tensioning the guy wires. I've got a wonderful start on it. I was able to install the initial clamp on each of the 4 guy wires.

Then I made a disappointing discovery. The guy wire tension nuts that were setup in late July as part of the guy wire anchor cement pours have started to rust. For those of you who are familiar with the properties of cement this wasn't due to a chemical reaction with the cement. When the cement was poured I attached the short length that went between the anchor and turn buckle on a 2" x 2" cut 4 feet long to be out of the way.

At the point of the discovery I stopped to each my lunch. I don't see any point in forging ahead when there is a setback. I find it more profitable to re-group, take time to think and make the best decision possible. It is obvious I need to change all the nuts and let the manufacturer know there was a problem. Since I'll be going to this effort I may as well buy lock nuts.

I am concerned about the quality of the zinc that is supposedly on the rest of the kit. I am going to have to spray paint each of the guy wire anchors. Then I will seal them with a rubberized spray to prevent further oxidation.