Living Life In A Wheelchair

Modifying Completed To My Stem Bearing Dust Caps
[ Wednesday April 26th 2017 at 11:05 am ]

I've completed a successful modifcation to my new power wheelchair. I added knobs to the stem bearing dust caps. Normally when these are removed the plastic is unintentionally carved by the tool being used (such as a screw driver). After it has been removed a few times a channel has been formed in the plastic. This allows sand, grit, salt and moisture in. It defeats the purpose of the dust cap. When this gets around the bearings it seizes them in place. I use my power wheelchair a whole lot. The knobs I've added will make removing the dust caps much easier and protect the integrity of the bearings.